<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<upm-export>
	<title>Shelburne Free Press</title>
	<link>https://shelburnefreepress.ca</link>
	<description></description>
	<pubDate>Mon Aug 24 0:21:41 2026 / +0000  GMT</pubDate>
	<generator>Universal Post Manager 1.1.2 [ www.ProfProjects.com ] </generator>
	<language></language>
	
			<item>
			<title>Early pioneer town Whitfield slowly faded into history</title>
			<link>https://shelburnefreepress.ca/?p=25738</link>
			<pubDate>Mon Aug 24 0:21:41 2026 / +0000  GMT</pubDate>
			<guid isPermaLink="false">https://shelburnefreepress.ca/?p=25738</guid>
			<content-encoded><![CDATA[<img width="1024" height="683" src="https://i0.wp.com/shelburnefreepress.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Whitfield-scaled.jpg?fit=1024%2C683&ssl=1"/>
 <br><!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Written By BRIAN LOCKHART</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>With Ontario being a fairly new place in terms of world history, its past is well documented in local historical societies and museums.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>When you take a drive along the rural roads and past fields of corn, wheat, and soybeans, you can pass through an area without realizing you just visited a ghost town without even stopping the car to take a look.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Ontario is filled with crossroads and dots on the map where thriving settlements once existed but now are lost in time and remembered only by a small sign and most likely a cemetery where the remains of early settlers repose for eternity.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The village of Whitfield in Mulmur, was once a thriving but small community that was first settled around 1832. It was located around the area of what is now Centre Rd. and the 10 Sideroad.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>It was during the early decades of the 19th century when people started moving into the region and surrounding area in central Ontario to build farms.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Towns and villages in Ontario were usually settled for one of two reasons.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Running water was a main factor in deciding to start building. Running water meant a source of power to run a mill. Once a mill was established, supporting business would spring up around it.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The second consideration when setting up shop was a crossroads. A crossroads meant traffic from both local people and passersby.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>It was the place you could open a general store or hotel.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Whitfield went through a few different name changes. For a while it was called Beechnut Corners.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>They finally settled on Whitfield when the post office opened in 1854 and they had to have a permanent name in order to receive mail.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Whitfield grew into a thriving, but small community with a population of around 125 souls.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>It was a real ‘Little House on the Prairie' venture with town folks who tended shops and businesses and surrounding successful farms that worked the land.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>During the height of activity the town had three stores, two saw mills, a blacksmith shop, a lime kiln, school, wagon maker, cabinet maker, and a post office.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>There was two taverns – that's a lot for a population of only 125 – and three churches so the locals could wash away the sins of of Saturday night drinking, on Sunday morning.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>By the early 1900's, Whitfield started to decline as people moved on to seek out new opportunities.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Over time, the buildings started to disappear.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The Methodist church was closed in 1925 and eventually demolished, however the cemetery remains and was given a facelift in recent years after decades of neglect.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The town school house is still standing but is now a private home.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The Anglican church, Christ Church, was built in 1874, and still stands on the corner at Centre Rd.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>However, it is not active and currently windows and doors and boarded up and there is no access.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>In 1970, all the tombstones were moved from the cemetery beside the church and placed side by side in an area behind the building where they remain today.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Whitfield as a town eventually faded into history, however, there are still descendants of the original settlers in the area.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->]]></content-encoded>
			<excerpt-encoded><![CDATA[]]></excerpt-encoded>
			<wp-post_id>25738</wp-post_id>
			<wp-post_date>2020-07-23 11:23:36</wp-post_date>
			<wp-post_date_gmt>2020-07-23 15:23:36</wp-post_date_gmt>
				</item>
</upm-export>
