<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<upm-export>
	<title>Shelburne Free Press</title>
	<link>https://shelburnefreepress.ca</link>
	<description></description>
	<pubDate>Mon Aug 24 6:52:03 2026 / +0000  GMT</pubDate>
	<generator>Universal Post Manager 1.1.2 [ www.ProfProjects.com ] </generator>
	<language></language>
	
			<item>
			<title>Long lost village of Stanton almost known by a different name</title>
			<link>https://shelburnefreepress.ca/?p=27518</link>
			<pubDate>Mon Aug 24 6:52:03 2026 / +0000  GMT</pubDate>
			<guid isPermaLink="false">https://shelburnefreepress.ca/?p=27518</guid>
			<content-encoded><![CDATA[<img width="1024" height="689" src="https://i0.wp.com/shelburnefreepress.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Stanton-1.jpg?fit=1024%2C689&ssl=1"/>
 <br><!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Written By Brian Lockhart</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Many Ontario towns were named after the original settlers who first staked a claim on the land, cleared the area for farming, and, perhaps, opened a general store.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Stanton, ON, got its name when a judge made his decision to settle any future dispute between two founding families of the town.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The earliest settlers in the area, which is located on what is now Airport Rd., just south of Mansfield, were the Hands and the Walker families.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Why the name Stanton was chosen is a mystery – at least, it's not recorded anywhere – although the town was indeed referred to as Handsville at one time, but it was an unofficial designation.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The two families arrived at the spot in the 1820s and, not long after, a few buildings were erected.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>That naturally caught the attention of others who moved to the area.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>One of the first official buildings was the Orange Hall, charter number 80. It was given the go-ahead in 1831. The first Orange Hall was built on the 5th Sideroad, then later rebuilt in the centre of the village.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The town built a school house on the 5th in the early 1850s, however it was a rather primitive log structure. They replaced it with a more up-to-date building in 1868.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>By the 1860s, the town was booming. At least booming by early pioneer days standards.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Of course, like any new town in Ontario, alcohol was a primary factor in getting things rolling.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>In 1866, William Beatty arrived in town and built the Union Hotel, which also had a tavern and a store.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Mr. Beatty opened Stanton's first post office the following year to really put the town on the map.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>By this time in history, Stanton had become somewhat of a stopping area for travellers. A second hotel was built in town by man named James Walker.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Apparently people had money to buy things because a third store was opened by a man named John Arthur Love.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The local economy grew to include four carpenters, a wagon and carriage shop, two blacksmith shops, and even a dentist.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The good folks of Stanton and area took care of their teeth.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>By the mid 1860s, the town had grown to a population of around 100 souls.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The glory years for the small town were the 1870s, which saw more new businesses open their doors.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Toward the end of the 19th century, the town added a butcher and a singing teacher of all things, who apparently did a brisk business teaching enthusiastic groups of up to 50 people.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>In 1870, Stanton was chosen as the seat for a new court house.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>While the taverns in town provided what many people wanted, they also provided more than a fair share of alcohol-induced rowdiness which concerned some of the more upstanding citizens.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Although a temperance movement was underway in 1900, a proposed law banning the sale of alcohol never passed.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>With the prevailing attitude that his hotel and tavern was the source of much trouble, James Walker decided to get out of the hotel and alcohol business.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The turn of the century saw the town go into decline.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The Stanton post office closed in 1915 and was replaced with rural mail delivery.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The court house was closed in 1929 and the courts were relocated to Shelburne.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Over time, most of the buildings were demolished.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>One hotel stood up until just a few years ago. There was a plan to relocate it and preserve it, however funds dried up and the building was demolished.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The old general store is still standing and was The Old Stanton Store for many years. It was a shop that sold a variety of artwork, crafts, and specialty items. However, it recently closed.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>A walk through the building is a step back in time where you can walk across the 160-year-old floor boards and soak up the atmosphere of a long ago era.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Stanton's history as a working town lasted only five decades, but many of its citizens went on to bigger achievements in the province.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->]]></content-encoded>
			<excerpt-encoded><![CDATA[]]></excerpt-encoded>
			<wp-post_id>27518</wp-post_id>
			<wp-post_date>2021-02-11 12:36:39</wp-post_date>
			<wp-post_date_gmt>2021-02-11 17:36:39</wp-post_date_gmt>
				</item>
</upm-export>
